Skip to main content

The connection between the shrinking lake and Boko Haram


On my search for more information about the socio-economic consequences of Lake Chad shrinking, I stumbled across a BBC article. In my last blog post, I wrote about the state of emergency regarding work like fishermen who now must look for more work, like e.g. farming. But even agriculture is becoming an increasingly difficult working environment due to the lack of water. Only a few still receive sufficient income from the primary sector. This is why the government stopped a project initiated in 1982 by an Italian engineering company. 

                                              The Transaqua project

The idea was to build a 2,400 km long canal to transfer water from the upstream tributaries of the Congo River to the Chari River basin, which feeds Lake Chad. So, an incredible amount of 100 billion cubic meters per year should be transported. Besides, dams were to be built along this construction to generate electricity. When it was announced that this project could be implemented, the reaction of the population was rather not enthusiastic. In the 2000s, more attention was paid to shrinking, because the connection with the geopolitical crises of Islamist militancy and migration was recognised. In the BBC article, the journalist Will Ross writes about his stay in Nigeria. He visited Kirenawa, a city terrorised by Boko Haram. For those, who don’t know about Boko Haram, it’s “an extremist Islamic sect in Nigeria that has created havoc across the north of the country and in the capital, Abuja. It’s violent attacks on government offices, the United Nations, and churches threaten to destabilize the country“(Walker, 2012).

                                              Boko Haram

Will Ross (2018) writes that young people in those kinds of villages complain about getting no jobs and that there is nothing to do and nothing to dream about instead of getting out. A very good basis for Boko Haram to radicalize young people, without perspective. Ross mentions that the lake's shrinking is not the only cause of this phenomenon, but also the general situation in Nigeria. A poor government, lack of infrastructure, lack of educational opportunities and a high rate of migration naturally always play a role. The fact that young people are forced to join a terrorist organization is a very special kind of socio-economic corollary. This leads to a kind of vicious circle. Because in the occupied areas no job opportunities will be created outside the terrorist militia and with the increase in members, the probability increases that the territory of the Boko Haram will spread further. n addition, the issue of water justice will become more and more important, as areas with access to water will, of course, be more difficult for the population to reach.
This problem was recognized, and therefore ways are sought to bring water. For this reason, the project I mentioned at the beginning was recalled.
The affected parties, among them the Italian engineering office, have agreed to immediately start the construction work and collect the money. The plan is to use less than 8% of the water the Congo River discharges into the Atlantic so that the Democratic Republic of Congo will not be harmed.
In other articles, I got another perspective on the situation. Even though any form of large-scale project that brings water to the region seems primarily helpful, this is not the solution to the problem. It may help to make some communities less vulnerable to the radicalization of the Boko Haram because jobs and prospects will be possible again. In the New Scientist-article from 2015 I read, that that the region alone is too insecure to send engineers or workers, as they are likely to be kidnapped by Boko Haram and require high ransoms. In this article it is also noted that it is not unlikely that the only cause of the Boko Haram's increase is the lake's shrinking. Also, the general dissemination of extreme religious ideology is a cause. Therefore, we must not decide that there is a direct link between drought and extremism. 

                                              People fleeing from Boko Haram



To sum up, briefly, I would like to say that I have not thought before about the fact that physically changing conditions can be "exploited" by terrorist organizations through climate change. Now, of course, the whole thing makes much more sense. The need to have enough income can make you accept any form of work. And when a terrorist organization promises the only security, then I understand when some don't find another way. As already mentioned, the sinking lake is not the only trigger, but the general situation in which the countries concerned find themselves. However, an intact lake, as it was a few decades ago, would be a stabilisation for 20-30 million affected people.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

last post

This is my final and last blog post. I started blogging this year through UCL. I wrote two blogs this term, so I was able to gain a lot of experience. I learned what to look out for to find the content of the blog or specific blog posts. To go through tons of information in a variety of ways and then reflect it in a rather short format, was new for me. I found this very challenging, because some topics are very extensive and can't be summarized in a short time, like the case with Boko Haram. Nevertheless, I liked the way the knowledge about climate change and water increased from week to week and how complex I know more about it now. Regarding the content, I have looked at different lakes and how they are suffering from climate change. Then I looked at the socio-economic consequences. This approach was very useful to me because it enabled me to establish the links and understand the causes of the problems for the local population. In my last two posts, I then dealt with t...

Transboundary water management

In this post, I will discuss the transboundary risks that may arise from sharing the same water source. This refers to the challenges and problems that exist when several countries have shares in the e.g. same lake, as is the case with all the lakes I have presented in recent weeks. These conflict risks increase or change due to the influence of climate change on the conditions of the lakes. For this reason, I would like to recapitulate the changing climatic conditions and the impact of water resources. Climate change is mainly characterised by the ever-increasing variability and regional scarcity. The generally weak institutional capacity must also be taken into account. Studies show that water resources (lakes & river basins) react very sensitively to the changing climatic conditions, as I have made clear in recent weeks. There are regional effects and changes. However, the projections for this century tend to predict a decline in water levels. An example is the N...

Lake Victoria - socio-economic impacts

In this post, I would like to look at the changing socio-economic repercussions. In an article I read, a fisherman complains that his income has fallen by 70 per cent and that he has problems asserting himself in other areas of work. Since he has been in this profession for decades, he has noticed the changes. His way of life has changed a lot due to the decrease in the amount of fish in the lake so that he had to register his children at another school because he could not afford the previous one. Of course, this fisherman is not the only one affected. According to scientists, the reasons for the loss of fish are over-fishing, pollution and other human activities. This also includes anthropogenic climate change. An increasing major challenge is also posed by the growing population of the basin. According to the article, it’s Africa’s fastest-growing population with over 30 million people, whose livelihood is depending on the lake.  Fishing boats (Uganda) I would n...