Skip to main content

last post


This is my final and last blog post. I started blogging this year through UCL. I wrote two blogs this term, so I was able to gain a lot of experience.
I learned what to look out for to find the content of the blog or specific blog posts. To go through tons of information in a variety of ways and then reflect it in a rather short format, was new for me. I found this very challenging, because some topics are very extensive and can't be summarized in a short time, like the case with Boko Haram.
Nevertheless, I liked the way the knowledge about climate change and water increased from week to week and how complex I know more about it now.
Regarding the content, I have looked at different lakes and how they are suffering from climate change. Then I looked at the socio-economic consequences. This approach was very useful to me because it enabled me to establish the links and understand the causes of the problems for the local population. In my last two posts, I then dealt with the management of water because I felt it was an important aspect.
To sum up, I can say that there were quite similar problems in my case studies, although the lakes are located very differently in Africa. The effects of climate change can be seen everywhere in the shrinking water levels, rising water temperatures and changing conditions. Since the primary sector in the selected areas is essential for people's lives, the impacts are particularly drastic. Since scientific predictions suggest that global warming will continue to increase unless consistent action is taken, the future for those affected does not look good. The desiccation of water will continue to increase and the number of people suffering will also increase. Climate refugees will become more and more. The debate on this issue has once again shown me that climate change must be stopped at all costs and that decisive changes must take place at political level, especially in the industrialised countries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The socio-economic impacts

In the first blog posts, I looked at some of the changing conditions of Lake Tanganyika and the resulting environmental and social-economic problems. Today I want to look at the Lake Chad and its changing environmental conditions (as I explained last week) and their negative discourse. It is written in the media that Africa is bearing the brunt of aridification as a result of climate change. But on the contrary, the “West” is producing the most significant quantities of greenhouse gases ( Murray, 2007 ) It's quite obvious that fishing conditions change due to the sinking of the lake but I wanted to see how they look like.  I’ve watched a reportage about the consequences of a fisherman’s daily life due to the sinking water. It’s a film by the United Nations and it shows fishermen who noticed changes in the lake. The water level has fallen radically. There are 20 million people in the area who are seeing their way of life endangered. Furthermore, it’s said in the film th

Introduction

The climate conditions have changed significantly in the last 50-100 years. Global temperatures are rising and so is the number of people who write about them. Now, I would also like to participate in this movement. As a geography student who has been dealing with the topic of climate change for a while, I would now like to deal intensively with a certain topic in the sometimes overstraining topic of climate change. I will deal with a previously unknown area (for me) and record my thoughts here every week. I would be more than happy if you would accompany me on this journey and participate in it. The focus of this blog will be on climate change and water in Africa. Probably these kinds of pictures show up in your head when you think about this topic. source: www.worldvision.de source: www.huffingtonpost.com   soure: waterwellsforafrica.org source: darkroom.baltimoresun.com Is there something wrong about it? I don’t know. I just know that these clichés exist. But t

The changing conditions

Over the 20 th century the environmental change had a massive impact on the Lake Tanganyika. Today I would like to focus on the elevation of the density stratification and stability. The warming influences the physical conditions of the lake and therefore the productivity of the lake ( Verburg& Hecky, 2009 ). But first, it can be said that climate warming effects can have sizeable repercussions for tropical lakes like the Tanganyika lake. In my last blog entry, I have mentioned the economic dependence in which the neighbouring countries find themselves. That’s why the knowing about the consequences of climate change is in this region so important. So the local people, the states and other involves parties can get prepared for the changing and challenging situation ahead. To come back to physical conditions, which change during the climate change, it is essential to explain the key point just as “warming surface waters lead to increasing differences in water density that wi