Skip to main content

last post


This is my final and last blog post. I started blogging this year through UCL. I wrote two blogs this term, so I was able to gain a lot of experience.
I learned what to look out for to find the content of the blog or specific blog posts. To go through tons of information in a variety of ways and then reflect it in a rather short format, was new for me. I found this very challenging, because some topics are very extensive and can't be summarized in a short time, like the case with Boko Haram.
Nevertheless, I liked the way the knowledge about climate change and water increased from week to week and how complex I know more about it now.
Regarding the content, I have looked at different lakes and how they are suffering from climate change. Then I looked at the socio-economic consequences. This approach was very useful to me because it enabled me to establish the links and understand the causes of the problems for the local population. In my last two posts, I then dealt with the management of water because I felt it was an important aspect.
To sum up, I can say that there were quite similar problems in my case studies, although the lakes are located very differently in Africa. The effects of climate change can be seen everywhere in the shrinking water levels, rising water temperatures and changing conditions. Since the primary sector in the selected areas is essential for people's lives, the impacts are particularly drastic. Since scientific predictions suggest that global warming will continue to increase unless consistent action is taken, the future for those affected does not look good. The desiccation of water will continue to increase and the number of people suffering will also increase. Climate refugees will become more and more. The debate on this issue has once again shown me that climate change must be stopped at all costs and that decisive changes must take place at political level, especially in the industrialised countries.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Transboundary water management

In this post, I will discuss the transboundary risks that may arise from sharing the same water source. This refers to the challenges and problems that exist when several countries have shares in the e.g. same lake, as is the case with all the lakes I have presented in recent weeks. These conflict risks increase or change due to the influence of climate change on the conditions of the lakes. For this reason, I would like to recapitulate the changing climatic conditions and the impact of water resources. Climate change is mainly characterised by the ever-increasing variability and regional scarcity. The generally weak institutional capacity must also be taken into account. Studies show that water resources (lakes & river basins) react very sensitively to the changing climatic conditions, as I have made clear in recent weeks. There are regional effects and changes. However, the projections for this century tend to predict a decline in water levels. An example is the N...

Lake Victoria - socio-economic impacts

In this post, I would like to look at the changing socio-economic repercussions. In an article I read, a fisherman complains that his income has fallen by 70 per cent and that he has problems asserting himself in other areas of work. Since he has been in this profession for decades, he has noticed the changes. His way of life has changed a lot due to the decrease in the amount of fish in the lake so that he had to register his children at another school because he could not afford the previous one. Of course, this fisherman is not the only one affected. According to scientists, the reasons for the loss of fish are over-fishing, pollution and other human activities. This also includes anthropogenic climate change. An increasing major challenge is also posed by the growing population of the basin. According to the article, it’s Africa’s fastest-growing population with over 30 million people, whose livelihood is depending on the lake.  Fishing boats (Uganda) I would n...